Choosing your donor
At Medimall Bank we offer a diverse selection of egg and sperm donors who meet the most demanding and strict qualification standards. Each donor receives a family medical history review, fertility screening, genetic testing, psychological assessment, and infectious disease control, high ethical standards and transparency.
Our donor bank offers clinic-recruited donors not only from Greece but from all over the world, representing various ethnicities and phenotypes, to match on your individual preferences. Through our database, you will find egg and sperm donors who are very different from each other when it comes to ethnicity, appearance and interests. We aim to provide you with a wide selection of donors.
The steps to choose your donor:
- Create an account
- Select a donor
- Reserve a donor
- Confirm the order
- Receive the delivery at your clinic!
Donor Selection and Screening
Reasons to choose us:
- We have high quality fresh and cryopreserved eggs, sperm and embryos.
- Our donors are between 18 and 33 years old and are selected after thorough clinical and genetic tests, as well as rigorous personality and psychological tests.
- It is worth mentioning that only 30% of the candidates are finally selected to donate their eggs or sperm, following these tests, as 70% of the candidates are rejected for various reasons (e.g. family history of diseases, morphological characteristics, low fertility despite their young age, psychological factors, etc.)
With regard to our donors:
For our male donors: At Medimall Egg & Sperm Bank, unlike other sperm banks, our donors’ sperm is not sorted by levels according to their quality. In fact, all our sperm samples have a concentration of more than 30X106 per ml and a motility (A+B) of more than 40%. It is therefore not necessary to select the sample according to the desired assisted reproduction method you are going to follow. The same sample from a sperm donation can be used for IUI, IVF or ICSI!
For our female donors: All our donors have a Fertility Guarantee, which sets us apart from most egg banks. This means that you can be sure that the eggs that you will receive are of the highest quality to provide viable and healthy embryos and, therefore, high pregnancy and birth rate.
- Our bank has more than 180 different phenotypes to cover all possible physical characteristics of a recipient, but also what a woman would want from a donor in an IVF with sperm donation or an IUI.
- We provide the ideal conditions for the cryopreservation, storage and transfer of our egg and sperm. The entire process takes place in our facilities, minimising any risks to their safety or quality. The sterilisation conditions and the technological equipment in our operating rooms and laboratory, contribute to the safety and excellence of the results. Eggs and sperm are processed by our laboratory, biologists immediately after collection and then vitrified for high quality cryopreservation.
- We ensure full traceability of all the gametes from our donors, but we explicitly deny access to those who have chosen anonymity, with the sole exception of cases provided for by law.
- We strictly apply the allocation of a certain number of eggs or sperm from each donor. This number is calculated from the children born from the same donor and is fixed by law at 10 for the Greek territory. This is achieved by following the evolution of each egg/sperm, from its collection and fertilisation to the successful completion of an IVF or IUI and the birth of the baby.
The legislative framework concerning the identity of donors
A. Anonymous, the recipient being unknown to the donor and vice versa. Similarly, the born child cannot have access to the data of the donor from whom he/she is born, except in cases provided for by law.
B. Non-anonymous, where both parties (recipient and donor) know or may know each other and the born child has access to the data of the donor from whom he/she was born. The donor can also be a friend or a relative of yours (but younger than 40 years old). The child should be informed of the identity of the donor after the age of 18, but only if the child requests it.
The two options mentioned above must be declared in writing and irrevocably before the genetic material be available by both parties (recipient – donor), thus ensuring that any future choice for all three parties (recipient – donor – child born) is final and irreversible.
The detailed screening of our donors
Control of diseases
Liver Function Control
Renal Function Control
Control for Metabolic Syndromes - Absorption Syndromes - Diabetes Mellitus
Exclusively at Medimall Egg & Sperm Bank we additionally do the NGS genetic testing to all our donors.
All our donors follow normal habits and lifestyle. And also they:
Finally, we pay special attention to the educational level, interests and hobbies of our donors.
Our extra advantages
We offer you eggs and sperm from dozens of phenotypes of men and women, so you can choose the characteristics, race, body type, nationality, blood type.
No waiting list
We recognize the importance of timing. That is why, the time between the moment you suggest the phenotype you wish and the moment the genetic material is available (either in your clinic or in our clinic), does not exceed 15-20 days.
Success rate up to 80%
We are proud of the high success rate of our Bank’s cryopreserved genetic material. This is due to both the meticulous fertility testing of our donors and the entire process of obtaining and preserving their eggs and sperm. The procedure is carried out exclusively by the gynecologists, biologists and specialised staff of our clinic, who have extensive experience and use techniques and products that comply with European regulations. In this way, eggs and sperm are processed in the best conditions, preserving their full potential, offering another guaranteed service, both in terms of quality and safety but also in terms of success. The Medimall Egg & Sperm Bank operates in accordance with Greek Law 3305/2005 and has a European license.
Top specification cryopreservation
Eggs: Once the eggs have been obtained from the donor (if not used directly for fertilisation), they are frozen at a very low temperature using a method called vitrification, which achieves very good survival rate after thawing and, correspondingly, high pregnancy rate. The eggs are then placed in solutions with special cryoprotective agents, frozen and stored in liquid nitrogen at -196ºC. It is worth emphasizing that children born from thawed eggs are no different from those born from IVF with fresh eggs.
Sperm: After the sample is taken, it is evaluated and processed to follow its cryopreservation. The process is carried out by adding a special cryoprotective ingredient which prevents damage caused by freezing and ice crystallization. At Medimall Egg & Sperm Bank we use the rapid freezing technique. This requires direct contact between sterile tubes which hold the samples in nitrogen vapor for 8 to 10 minutes, followed by immersion in liquid nitrogen at -196ºC.
Medimall Egg & Sperm Bank uses special devices to transport frozen eggs, sperm and embryos for its shipments, which gives the Dry Shippers containers extra protection. We provide different types of shipments, always adapted to the needs of your clinic, such as a specialised transport service chosen by your clinic, which will be responsible for the delivery of the eggs, sperm and embryos.
Transport can take place anywhere in the world, with the recipient’s details recorded on both the packaging and the accompanying documents.
Lab2Lab air transport
The genetic material is transported, accompanied by our qualified personnel, from our laboratory to the aircraft cabin (avoiding X-ray control) and then to your clinic which is the final destination.
Lab2Lab ground transport
In this mode of shipment, the genetic material is also transported accompanied by our qualified personnel and the delivery is also made from hand to hand, but in this case, by land.